In order for this application to be processed you must:
- Complete this application in full.
- Upload all required documents (see document list below).
- Ensure that official evidence of successful completion of your educational program (your transcripts) has been sent directly to the College from the educational institution. Unofficial evidence of successful completion of an educational program (e.g. a letter from the program director) is acceptable until convocation; however, official evidence (i.e. transcripts) must be received within 30 days of convocation.
For an application in the Full Registration class, ensure that official evidence of successful completion of an examination approved by the COTNS has been sent directly to the College from the examination body.
Please note that you may not hold yourself out as a "Occupational Therapist" in the province of Nova Scotia until after your application for registration has been approved by the College (i.e. you have been issued a licence to practice). This includes clinical orientation, supervised work (clinical and non-clinical), and volunteer work.
Applicants educated outside of Canada need to apply to the Substantial Equivalency Assessment System (SEAS) before applying with the College.
Incomplete applications will be denied. Applicants should note that approval of a completed application, including all required documents, may take up to ten business days. If your application is denied, your registration fee will be returned and you will be advised of the reason(s) for the decision and the appeal process.
If you will be uploading your documents with this application, please make sure you have the following scanned in PDF or JPG format before you begin:
Alternatively, you can send your documents by regular mail but this will lengthen the time for processing considerably.
These documents are required in order to complete the application. Please make sure they are complete and scanned so they can be attached to this application below.
- A copy of your professional liability insurance certificate. If you have not received your certificate, a copy of a receipt for purchasing insurance will be accepted. A copy of the certificate must be forwarded to the College once you receive it.
- Your curriculum vitae.
- Documentation to verify Canadian Citizenship, permanent residency, landed immigrant status or employment authorization (e.g. work permit) under the Immigration Refugee Protection Act or a Birth Certificate.
- Documentation of successful completion of the NOTCE exam
Verification that you are registered to sit the next NOTCE exam and a Sponsorship Form.
- A passport-size photograph notarized by a Notary Public (original copy must be mailed to the College).
- Official transcripts (ordered and sent directly to the College from the educational institution).
- A Vulnerable Sector Check from the province in which you are residing. If you have lived outside of Canada in the past two years, an International Criminal Record Check that is translated by a certified translator (if applicable) is required. The Vulnerable Sector Check will need to be valid within the last 3 months and uploaded prior to your application being approved.
Situation Specific Documents
These documents may be required, depending on your situation. If any of the following apply to you, you will need the associated documents completed and scanned so they can be attached to this application below.
- Documentation of English language fluency (if first language AND language of OT instruction is not English).
- A regulatory history form from each jurisdiction of practice sent directly to the College. You must complete the authorization and send it to each jurisdiction to complete and send back to the College.
- A completed LMSA Confirmation Form completed by your current jurisdiction and sent directly to the College. You must complete the authorization and send it to your current jurisdiction to complete and send back to the College.
- Full Registration: $490.00
- Temporary (3 month) Registration: $250.00
- LMSA Applicants: $50.00
- New Applicants Educated in Canada: $100.00
- New Applicants Educated Outside of Canada: $150.00
- Re-Entry Applicants (i.e. does not meet professional currency requirements): $125.00
Upon submission, you will be asked to provide credit card information. On approval of your application by the College of Occupational Therapists of Nova Scotia the registration and/or application fee(s) will be charged to the credit card provided.
Upon submission, you will be given instructions on where to send your eTransfer or cheque.